First Annual Akron Music Awards
Musica // Doors at 7 pm, music at 8 pm // Join Chris Butler, a songwriter and musician, for the first-ever Akron Music Awards. This year’s honorees are The Beyonderers with honorable mentions to Fancy Legs and Funeral Proposals. Winners will receive stipends to help with recording costs, gear upgrades and merch, plus access to the Panza Foundation’s creative and music business resources. Tickets $10 in advance. METRO: #1, #10, #12, #34
Summit County Sheriff’s Debate
Main Library Auditorium // 7 pm // The Akron Press Club is hosting a debate among the candidates running for Summit County Sheriff on the March 17 Democratic primary ballot. The debate will be moderated by longtime Akron journalist M.L. Schultze. Candidates will take questions from local journalists as well as audience members. Free. Doors at 6:30 pm. METRO: #1, #5, #6, #7, #10, #12, #26, #28, #33, #34, DASH, #102, #103, #104
Art of Recovery 2020
E.J. Thomas Hall // 5:30-8:30 pm // Art of Recovery provides an opportunity for individuals living with severe and persistent mental illness to exhibit their work and receive recognition for their creative talents. The event will feature more than 50 original artworks, all professionally framed and available via auction. Artists keep 75% of sale proceeds and the remaining 25% supports the Expressive Arts Therapy program. $45-$125. Ticket includes heavy hors d’oeuvres.
Lock of the Irish
The Trailhead at Cascade Lofts // 1-6 pm // Celebrate the contributions of Irish immigrants at this family-friendly event, which features live music by The Irish Bogdogs, Celtic Storm Irish Dancers and an Irish-themed buffet. Free, but food and drinks are not included. Proceeds benefit Cascade Locks Park Association and the Mustill Store Museum. METRO: #10, #34
Polls open 6:30 am-7:30 pm // Vote in your party’s primary by requesting a Democratic or Republican ballot at your polling place. Vote for your preferred candidates for president and Summit County Sheriff, as well as a Summit Metro Parks levy. If you are unable to vote on March 17, vote early at the Summit County Board of Elections, located at 470 Grant Street. For more information or to view your sample ballot, visit www.summitcountyboe.gov.
Native Plants 101
F.A. Seiberling Nature Realm Visitors Center // 6:30 pm // Save water, save time and support native food webs. Learn about the benefits of native planting and how you might turn your yard into a native plant oasis. For more information, call 330-865-8065.
Ben Gage — Live Album Recording
The Rialto Theatre // 7 pm // Ben Gage asks fans to “Practice your heckling, clapping, booing, and cheering and come capture an evening in time with me.” The whole show will be recorded and released as an album. Special guest: Madison Cummins. $12 presale or $15 at the door. METRO: #8
Weekend Pass for Acid Cats, Red Rose Panic & More
Musica // Doors at 7 pm and music at 8 pm both nights // A weekend of jazz/funk/hip-hop at Musica, with a blend of local and regional acts. Friday: Collin Miller & The Brother Nature x Red Rose Panic. Saturday: Acid Cats x Mistar Anderson. Each show is $10 + fees, and weekend passes are $20 flat. METRO: #1, #7, #10, #12, #33, #34, #102, #103, #104
True Crime Tour – Encore
Simon Perkins Stone Mansion // 1 pm // First presented in November 2019, come see this new and improved set of crimes from decades past and present. To be most comfortable, consider wearing layers and bringing a cushion to sit on. The trolley leaves from Perkins Stone Mansion Carriage House promptly at 1 pm. Reservations required. $20 for Historical Society members and $25 for nonmembers. METRO: #3
All Aboard the Akron Express
Akron Children’s Museum // 10 am-4 pm // All Aboard the Akron Express! This fun-filled, train-themed, family event will offer a variety of train displays, interactive play stations, representatives from the Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad and more. $12 per kid and $10 per adult.
The Elegant Egg Fine Arts and Craft Show
St. Sebastian Parish School // Saturday 10 am-6 pm and Sunday 12-4 pm // The 48th annual Elegant Egg show features carved eggs, Pysanky- and Faberge-style decorated eggs, and other fine arts and crafts for viewing and sale. This year’s show will feature nine new and 20 returning artists and, for the first time, food — homemade perogies, cabbage and noodles, kielbasa and sauerkraut sandwiches and hot dogs provided by the Ukranian American Youth Association from Parma. Free. METRO: #4
Soul-Capella Performed by YEPAW
Akron Civic Theatre // 4 pm // The Youth Excellence Performing Arts Workshop presents SoulCapela! Celebrate Motown, Broadway and gospel with these young singers. YEPAW uses the arts to engage middle and high school urban youth in activities that provide positive options for developing their talents, skills and self-esteem. Free for kids 5 and under, $7 for ages 6 and up, and $12 for adults. METRO: #1, #3, #7, #10, #12, #14