Category

Community

About local history, neighborhoods, businesses and nonprofits

171 posts

Bookmark?Remove?

Four Week Panhandling Certification Course

-

by Kelcie Erbse Every Wednesday for the next few weeks, The Homeless Charity, a non-profit charity organization in Akron will be having a panhandling course. Individuals who are out of home or out of work can go and get certified. The classes will be led by ... More »

Bookmark?Remove?

The Sound of Conversation

-

Showcasing Akron’s Creativity through PechaKucha by Noor Hindi Anoo Vyas is jazzed about the next PechaKucha. As the founder of PechaKucha Akron, Anoo says their next event on Friday, August 4 will be especially unique. Kung Fu, theater and music will fuse tog... More »

Bookmark?Remove?

Introducing: Baseball Now!

-

by Dave Daly Baseball is best enjoyed with friends but there is no shame in going to a baseball game alone. I do it fairly often, sometimes catching a few innings of a game or an entire homestand all by my lonesome. That said, baseball loves company. Sometim... More »

Bookmark?Remove?

Hoop For Coop

-

by Kayla Sturm When Denico Buckley’s friend Kimyata Cooper Jr. passed away suddenly from a heart attack at the age of 34 last May, Buckley decided something had to be done to reduce health care disparities in the Summit County minority male population. “Last... More »

Bookmark?Remove?

Civic Solutions Lab – Field Journal | Leadership Akron

-

Since 2015, Leadership Akron has been pursuing a strategic priority to more proactively and directly connect the leaders we serve to community needs. As an effort related to this priority, Leadership Akron secured support from the Knight Foundation to develo... More »

Bookmark?Remove?

One Day when we look back | TedxAkron 2017

-

By Floco Torres The Goodyear Theater is absolutely gorgeous. Between the history of the company, its impact told 400 different ways by Akronites and the eerie Law & Order vibe near 1201 East Market St, I kept my expectations fairly low for the venue itself. Ha... More »

Bookmark?Remove?

Bach for Locks Promises Great Music for a Great Cause

-

Dr. Mayumi Kikuchi was diagnosed with cancer in 2012, and while she was undergoing cancer treatment, she turned to Stewart’s Caring Place, an Akron Cancer Wellness Center that provides many services for cancer patients and their families. They provided essenti... More »

Bookmark?Remove?

Gravity Racing beyond the Annual Soap Box Derby

-

Local and out-of-state STEM students compete at Derby Downs by Kayla Sturm Akron is known for being home to the All-American Soap Box Derby World Championship Race. So what’s going on at Derby Downs for the other 51 weeks out of the year?  On May 18, Derby Dow... More »

Bookmark?Remove?

Bike to the Zoo

-

by Lauren Collins   The Akron Zoo wants to reward you for riding your bike. After a leisurely bike ride on the natural and serene Towpath Trail, head to the zoo for half-price admission.  In honor of National Bike Month, the Akron zoo is offering half off admi... More »