Category

Community

About local history, neighborhoods, businesses and nonprofits

179 posts

Bookmark?Remove?

The ABC’s of the New Breakfast Club

- 

How local early birds are building community over breakfast by Jessica Conti Akron is filled with both delicious breakfast options and a significant number of creatives who are passionate about their work and their city, which helps explain why there has been ... More »

Bookmark?Remove?

Cosplay what? | How to channel your inner nerd for Geekfest

- 

by Sarah Stubbs The superfans in Akron who would otherwise feel at home at Comic Con won’t have to pay big bucks or travel to big cities in order to get their geek on this summer. They can get their fan fix July 25 at Geekfest 2015, the Akron-Summit County Lib... More »

Bookmark?Remove?

The Devil Strip’s Guide to Summer | July & August

- 

Though our summer selves hibernate all winter, somewhere in the back of the mind of every Akronite there’s the small, comforting knowledge that no matter how bitter the chill or how deep the snow, one day we’ll get to play outside again. From this knowledge sp... More »

Bookmark?Remove?

A Day in the Life of… ‘Bucha’ Bill Bond

- 

[su_note]This is the first in a new series of portraits about the day-to-day lives of locals who interest us. Unfortunately, in the print edition, I omitted the names of the wife-husband photography and writing team that produced this piece. To Svetla and Chri... More »

Bookmark?Remove?

“You’re So Akron If…” (It’s a Rubber City thing.)

- 

A beginner’s guide to the unique and quirky side of the Rubber City. by the readers of The Devil Strip [su_box title=”What’s this ‘You’re so Akron if…’ about anyway?”] Anyone willing to scratch beneath the surface here knows Akron is unique. In fact, you don’t... More »

Bookmark?Remove?

The Secret Lives of Beekeepers: Who is this guy anyway?

- 

UPDATE: Akron Honey Company will be competing on the LeBron James reality show, Cleveland Hustles, premiering August 24 at 10 pm.     The Most Interesting Person I Know: Brent Ian Wesley “It’s going to get sticky,” he said, walking into his house ahead of me. ... More »

Bookmark?Remove?

Pub Notes: Shooting tequila with Gallagher

- 

It’s been two weeks since I posted about becoming a Knight Cities Challenge finalist, inviting (begging) anyone and everyone to offer ideas and feedback about what the do-dad formerly known as Chickadee Society should be. Well, thanks to some good friends and ... More »

Bookmark?Remove?

Making clothes that make neighbors

- 

How a Kent State student from Doylestown abandoned her dream-come-true in New York City and found her purpose in North Hill starting a fashion company with members of Akron’s refugee community. Tessa Reeves is a morning person, someone who dreams big and wakes... More »